Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dead ... but only temporarily

A few years ago, I was dead for several days.

As I recall, my bank called to ask about my death. I responded I wasn't and who said I was.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) said so. "Someone" had told them I was dead and so they corrected my record to match the information supplied. The SSA would not tell me just who told them I was dead; that must be privileged information. The SSA did not have to verify the actual fact of my death; they were told I was dead and that was that.

On the other hand, my physical presence would not be proof of my non-deadness to the SSA. An official SSA form along with supporting documentation had to be presented at the local office before I became undead ... not dead ... resurrected.

And, after a bit of Googling, I learned this is not an uncommon event. Some 14,000 non-dead folk are listed as dead each year by the SSA.

Damp but not down,
J R "Mad Dog" Madden


Originally posted at SouthernFandomClassic at Yahoo! Groups.

No comments: